Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Story About God's Goodness

Hi friends! I just wanted to share a story with you guys about how awesome God is...

Lately the Lord has been putting on my heart to get connected with a nursing home or assisted living place. A lot of these people are in their last days and He's put so strongly on my heart to just go and love on the people there. As they live out the rest of their days on this earth my heart longs for every single one of them to know the Lord!

God has been putting this on my heart for the past year or so, but I never really did anything about it because I used the lame excuse of not knowing how to get connected with a place and was intimidated to randomly call them up. I thought, do people do that? What would I say? "Hey, my name is Ashley...Could I just like....come and love on some people?" But they'll laugh at me! (Ash, get over yourself.)

Lately I've really been thinking about my time on this earth. I'm only here for a short time and am I using my time the way the Lord wants me to? I don't want to stay busy just doing "stuff". "Stuff" that doesn't matter. Many days I feel like I'm just existing...not really spending much time doing things that have eternal value. Those are the things that truly matter. I don't want to get to the end of my days on this earth, look back, and regret what little impact I had, eternally. This isn't at all about being religious. God isn't interested in us being religious...you can't win brownie points with God. But because of what Christ has done for me I want to spend the rest of my days serving Him and sharing about His amazing grace and love!

The other day during my quiet time I asked the Lord to show me how He wants me to be spending my time. He brought to my attention, again, what He's been putting on my heart over the past year about getting connected with a nursing home/assisted living place so I decided to do something about it this time. I began researching places in the area to call. I prayed that the Lord would confirm it if this is something He's wanting me to pursue or if I'm just trying to make this happen. A few hours later I got a call to audition for a commercial the next day. This is the part where God blew me away... Guess what the commercial is for... It's a commercial for the nation's largest owner and operator of senior living communities throughout the U.S. They're the leading national provider of all senior related services. You can contact them and they'll get you connected with a place in your city. WHAT?! Ok God, I'm listening... I couldn't help but just laugh in that moment. God is so awesome how He works! He blew me away with how He confirmed what it is He wants me doing with my time. He answers our prayers in such amazing and unexpected ways! What an awesome adventure our walk with Christ is!

1 comment: