Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Body: The Temple of the Holy Spirit

Hey! I just wanted to share with you what has been on my heart lately...

This post kind of goes off my last post, "Living a Life of Holiness". I want to honor God in all I do, including what I wear. Everyday is an opportunity for me to share Christ with people and I don't want what I wear to hinder that. Something I've been trying to do lately is... before I go out of the house I look in the mirror and ask myself if this is something I want to be wearing while I'm telling someone about Jesus. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." I want people to see Jesus in me and if I'm dishonoring God with how I dress then it's going to be hard for me to be a light to others.

The Bible also says that we are not to be a stumbling block for others. Girls, we are responsible if we cause a guy to stumble and look on us with lust. I definitely don't want to be the cause of someone else stumbling! Our bodies are meant for our husbands and our husbands only. Many times I'll ask my husband if I have a question about what I'm wearing because I know he'll be completely honest with me since he doesn't want another guy looking at me in the wrong way. Ladies, this doesn't mean we have to walk around in turtlenecks and pants (thank goodness), but there are plenty of super cute modest things out there! Letting it all "hang out" to get attention is not the kind of attention we want to get. Let's strive to glorify God in our body and to save our body for our husband! Whether married or not, our body is still only meant for the man we're married to.

Many think that the pool or beach is an exception to dressing modest, but as Christians, we're still a temple of the Holy Spirit and are to glorify God in our body even when we're at the pool or beach. This is something God has really convicted me about. In case I have the opportunity to share Christ with someone at the pool, I don't want to be barely covered, wearing a bikini. So who wants to make one pieces and tankini swimsuits the cool thing to wear this summer?? I've seen so many SUPER cute ones!!! Who wants to join me??:) I'll try to post pictures of some cute ones I find!

I don't at all have this down perfectly, but it's something I have to face everyday. I can either choose to honor God in what I'm wearing and to be dressed in a way that God can use me or I can choose to dress in a way that people will see my body instead of Jesus in me. I know that dressing modest might be a hard thing for girls to strive for these days because the world is saying, "the lesser clothes the better", but I wanted to write this to hopefully be an encouragement to girls out there!

God Bless You!
-Ash

2 comments:

  1. We've been talking to our youth girls about this a lot. All we can do is strive to be obedient and pray that God will direct our paths so we can lead the the holy life He calls us to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dressing modestly has always been a huge conviction for me. It can be hard shopping for modest clothes but like Amber said it's not impossible. I actually have noticed this summer that there are more modest options out there! I have always had a problem finding modest dresses but during this season I've already found and purchased 3 affordable, fashionable, and cute dresses that are modest!

    Modesty is respectful to our brothers in Christ as well as our Lord and Savior and in a lot of ways helps confidence levels! Modesty is a WIN! :)

    As for the one piece swimsuit I'm right there with you on that one as well! I'll join you in the trend of making them the "cool thing" :) There really are so many cute ones out there! Love this blog entry as well as the opportunity for all of us ladies to join together and make modesty the "new trend"

    ReplyDelete