Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Disney Princess Update

As most of you know, I got hired back in May to be a princess at Disney World. After I got hired I've been waiting for them to call and tell me when they needed me to head to Florida. Well today they called and were ready for me to come down. They said they wanted me to be Ariel. The shell bra outfit Ariel wears is more revealing than something I feel comfortable wearing. I told the lady that modesty is really important to me and that I wasn't really comfortable wearing her mermaid outfit. She said they unfortunately wouldn't be able to use me if I wasn't willing to wear it. They want all of the girls they hire to be able to be any of the princesses so they can easily switch girls in and out for whatever they need. I thanked the lady for the awesome opportunity, but said that I just couldn't compromise my convictions. It looks like God has a different plan for me and it doesn't involve being a Disney Princess.

After I got off the phone having just said no to something I had been extremely excited about for the past 4 months, I called my husband in tears. Not because I regretted my decision, because I didn't one bit, but it was just a bummer after looking forward to this for so long and then having to turn it down because of the situation. We even moved out of our apartment to be free to go down when they called.

Although things seem like a bummer at the moment, I don't regret my decision. I want to honor God in ALL I do. I've shared my heart about modesty and what good would it be to say one thing and go down to Florida and do another. I don't want to be someone who just talks the talk, but I want to live out the convictions the Lord gives me. I want others to see Jesus through me and I never want to be a stumbling block for anyone. Even though being a Disney Princess seemed liked such a fun opportunity, it wasn't worth compromising my convictions. Nothing is worth compromising the convictions God gives us.

With all that said... I believe God has something even greater in store for me! Going to Florida was my plan, but it wasn't God's plan. I want what God has for me, not what I want for myself. Although today has been somewhat of a sad day, it's exciting to know that since God has closed this door, I'm one step closer to what He has for me. I can't wait to see what that is! My husband and I have lots to be praying about as we seek out what the Lord has for us next. First on our to-do list... find a home!

5 comments:

  1. youre such an inspiration!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right Ashley! God has this under control! And there is a great reward in obedience :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, you are such an inspiring and strong woman of God. That takes so much guts and bravery to turn down a job that you were so greatly looking forward too! I could not even imagine what a dream job of being a Disney princess would be! Your morals and values seem to be so similar to mine and that makes me feel like my beliefs are not going to waste at all. I see how blessed God has created your life to be and how your good graces have not gone unnoticed. Seeing how you have continued strongly with your convictions just helps me realize that I will be greatly rewarded one day as well!

    Thank you for being such a positive role model! It means more than you know!

    Good luck with everything! :)

    (You would have been the best princess, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what it looks like when Jesus really owns someone's heart.

    Consider me impressed -- both by Him and your obedience. But this example of holiness isn't even the best part, because this story is not really about what God led you not to do; it's going to be about what He has planned that's even BETTER. I can't wait to find out what that is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, EVERYONE, for all of your encouragement! It means more than you know. Me turning down Disney really doesn't say anything about me, because I'm incapable of any good on my own, but it's because Jesus lives inside of me! To God be the glory! I'm so excited to see what He has in store. He is so good and I'm blessed to get to be a part of His work!

    ReplyDelete